Gardening can help us become self-sufficient, and it can enhance sustainability. However, the methods you adopt for creating a garden are also essential. Organic gardening is an excellent way to start forming a healthy environment for plants to thrive and grow.
To carry out this type of gardening (and indeed, it is good practice in any gardening that you do), you have to use organic manure and techniques from the beginning instead of relying upon synthetic fertilisers and pesticides.
As per the information on Garden Organic, there are around 15 million gardeners in the UK. Most of them have small or medium-size gardens, especially with the surge in popularity of tightly packed housing estates around the country.
If you are planning to start growing your own, it is best to go organic as there are several benefits associated with growing things organically. Through this, you can enhance soil fertility and, at the same time, increase crop yield. Here, we have brought together some aspects that can help you while beginning your organic garden.
Benefits of organic gardening
Here are some of the benefits associated with organic gardening.
· Reduce pollution.
When you opt for organic gardening, you can reduce air, soil, and water pollution. When you use nasty chemical pesticides in your garden, they can leach to the groundwater and affect its quality. It is mainly due to the presence of nitrates in these products.
By gardening organically, you can also reduce non-degradable waste materials that would end up polluting our environment. Similarly, it will massively decrease the chance of food and kitchen scraps ending in landfills if we all did it.
· Increase soil nourishment.
By using organic manure and composts, you can increase the presence of humus in the soil.
It can also be beneficial for delivering micronutrients and macronutrients to the soil. For that purpose, you can adopt different strategic planting methods. They include intercropping, crop rotation, etc. It will help in enhancing the penetrability of the soil and will improve water retention capacity too.
· Improve food nutrition.
When you plant organic vegetables and fruits, you can obtain superior quality food items. You will find that your crops have a higher mineral content and, at the same time, they are not covered in chemicals or preservatives. You would be amazed at what suppliers have to do to your fruit and veg to make sure they last a long time when transporting, storing, or displaying foodstuffs.
Besides that, these vegetables and fruits have higher Vitamin C. Their fibre content is 10 to 50% higher than vegetables and fruits farmed using synthetic fertilisers and chemicals. As a bonus, this method of gardening is energy efficient as well.
· Cost-effective method
When you are using organic farming techniques, you can save a lot of money. Here, you do not have to spend on chemicals and fertilisers. At the same time, you can increase crop yield, and it would help you generate higher revenue.
How do we grow plants organically?
When you grow plants organically, you have to ensure that you use organic manure, composts, and natural fertilisers. Here are a few other points or things that you should bear in mind while you opt for this method of gardening.
· You will need to really focus on your garden, soil, weather conditions etc., which means that you have to understand the temperature, moisture content, soil condition, etc.
· Next, as you prepare the bed for the plants, you should test the soil. By doing this, you get to understand what is lacking. You can use vermicompost or other compost created from kitchen scraps or waste. By doing so, you can create balance in the soil and amend it accordingly.
· You can take care of your plants by using cover crops. You can also adopt raised beds for growing vegetables and fruits, which is our favourite method of growing.
· Once you have planted the crops, you must ensure that they do not suffer from any diseases. For that purpose, you can opt for disease-resistant varieties, and, at the same time, you can practice crop rotation in your garden.
· When it comes to watering your crops, you must ensure that you are not over or underwatering them. Adopting less frequent deep irrigation is an excellent way to help plants with their root growth. They have to search for moisture, and as such, will have better root systems. Besides that, it is best to water in the morning and avoid watering the leaves. The reason is that it can pave the way for diseases.
· When you have to remove weeds from your garden, it is best to pluck them out manually or cut with scissors if you do not want to disturb the roots. It is a concern every gardener might have. However, you can avoid these conditions by using organic mulch in order to stop the weeds from growing. When you start feeding the soil organically, it can help in removing weeds as well.
· Mulching helps to regulate the temperature of the earth too.
· When it comes to pests, you should check and identify them to see if they are beneficial insects or otherwise. Obviously, take action when they are harmful to your crops. If you opt for organic gardening, a few pests may not be harmful to your garden as well.
· Use white vinegar for various jobs in your garden.
· Watch this video which shows you how:
These are some of the best ways by which you can set up your first organic garden. Through this, you can increase crop yield and, at the same time, preserve our environment.
For more information or assistance with this article, or if you want to add something that you feel is relevant, we would love to hear from you via the Contact Us page.
See below for the book I would recommend on the subject. It is a fascinating read: